A healthy, enjoyable work environment creates a healthy, productive business.
Make work more enjoyable, more rewarding and less stressful by sticking to ‘The New York Manifesto’.
- PRESUME PERMISSION – assume the permission to be flexible; people do their best work in different ways and at different times of the day.
- 40 HOURS IS ENOUGH – working longer does not achieve more. Respect 40 hours as a week’s work; don’t create an ‘always on’ culture which will burn-out your greatest assets.
- RECLAIM YOUR LUNCH – urge everyone to use lunch breaks to ‘take a break’. Use this time to socialise, get some fresh air, let the brain flat-line and just step away.
- GIVE US SPACE – open-plan offices are bad for concentration – and for introverts! Allow people to step away from their desks, or to be flexible with their hours if required.
- DIGITAL SABBATH – no-one should be forced to answer work emails on the weekend. Put that phone away and commit to having time away from the emails.
- THE ONLY WAY IS ETHICS – allow people to sit in their values and be held accountable to them.
- GOT TO BE ME – create the environment which allows everyone to be their true selves.
- LAUGH – laughter reduces stress levels. Teams who laugh together collaborate better.